Sunday, December 11, 2011

Life Lesson #2: Walking

I would like to think that this topic should not need to be covered, but recent experiences have convinced me otherwise.  I will go over some basic walking etiquette that should be implied but obviously it is not.

1. When walking on a sidewalk or on a like pavement, always walk on the right side.  I do not know how many times I have been walking on the correct side only to see someone coming right at me.  I should not have to move to the left side of the sidewalk.  This should be second nature to almost everyone, but it needs to be stated as it is an issue.

2. When walking through a split-door, always enter through the right door.  If I am walking into a building, I don't want some chumbalone coming out the door I am trying to come in.  It is not that hard to just go through the right door.  An exception can be given if the right door is a handicapped door that is harder to open, but only is no one is trying to come out the other doors.

3. When walking in groups on a sidewalk, it is the group's responsibility to clear a path for people coming the other way.  The last thing I want to see is an inconsiderate group of people forcing me to walk on the grass instead of moving to their side of the sidewalk.

4. When someone is walking slow in front of you, that person should let you pass in front of them.  For whatever reason, people will sometimes start to swerve in front of you when you try and pass them.  They also might try to speed up as well, making you awkwardly walk next to them for even longer.  Rule of thumb, if your not fast enough to walk with the big boys, then move to the side and let them pass.

5. When walking in a space with intersecting hallways, it is common to run into people who do not know walking etiquette.  For example, if I am walking on the right side of a hallway and turn right onto the right side of a perpendicular hallway, there is a good chance there will be someone there and I will run into them.  First of all, the person walking on the left side of the hallway is making the mistake, and it is their fault that they ran into me.  This happens way to often, and causes me to think that if people walk so poorly, how can they possibly be driving any better?
WHAT ARE WE IN ENGLAND?? These kids are being taught to walk on the wrong side of the street


That is all for now, but rest assured, more life lessons will be coming in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment